Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a condition where it affects a woman’s hormone levels. Women who suffer with PCOS generally produce higher than normal amounts of male hormones. Due to this hormone imbalance, women tend to skip menstrual periods and this makes it harder for them to conceive. There are many women out there who have PCOS but they are not aware of it. As per one study, upto 70 percent of women with PCOS were never diagnosed.
In the last few years, this gynecological disorder has increased considerably among Indian women. More number of girls and middle aged women are reported to be suffering from this and it is marked by disturbances in the monthly menstrual cycles and multiple cysts on ovaries.
What are the causes of PCOS?
At present, the exact cause of PCOS is not known. But it can be associated with genetics, excess insulin, and low grade inflammation.
What are the major symptoms of PCOS?
- Irregular periods
- Sleep apnea
- High Stress levels
- High blood pressure
- Acne, Oily Skin
- Depression and anxiety
- Excessive facial and body hair growth
Diet and Lifestyle tips for women who suffer from PCOS
- Stay away from saturated and hydrogenated fats that are found in animal and dairy based products. Try avoiding baked goods also as they are full of fats. Saturated fats are known to raise the cholesterols levels.
- Try consuming lot of green and leafy vegetables and fruits like berries that are rich in antioxidants and nutrients. Legumes, lentils and beans are also good and can be included in your daily diet.
- If you are suffering from PCOS, you should avoid refined carbohydrates like biscuits and white bread. Avoid consuming non nutritive calories like sugary beverages such as energy drinks and sodas.
- It is also advised that one should also perform routine aerobic exercises and yogasanas and also avoid smoking, and caffeine intake.
Ayurvedic Approach and Treatment
In Ayurveda, the treatment for PCOS is done with a holistic approach through the management of PCOS. As per the specific health requirements of the patient suffering from PCOS, a unique therapy is designed. This personalized approach towards the patients helps in re balancing the hormones in a natural way. The complete therapy helps in focusing on balancing tissue nutrition, rectifying the imbalances of doshas etc.